Friday, April 04, 2008

Is There Life After Death?

A too-brief flame
Grzegorz Wojcik (Wojnicz, Poland)
Photographed March 2006, Wojnicz, Poland


I found that picture at the Smithsonian website. They were having a contest and I really liked this one. It made me realize again how much we don't know about what lies beyond our deaths. Even as a Christian and having the Bible to shed some light on the hearafter, it is still a great mystery. Yet, many people don't believe in life after death, and I can see why. To my knowledge there is absolutely no physical or scientific evidence for such a thing. The only "evidences" (to use the term loosely) we have are deathbed accounts of what is being seen or felt or heard--just before the light goes out of their eyes and they leave this world. I find it interesting that these deathbed murmurings tend to be bright and joyful when Christians die and full of fear and sorrow when non-Christians die. Overall, though, these stories are much less frequent these days since most are doped up on pain-killers during those final moments (for humanitarian reasons, of course.)

Of course, I don't think we really need evidence for life after death to believe in it, since we have so much other evidence to believe in Jesus. Since He said so, I believe it because I believe in Him.

It is frightening, though, to recognize our own mortality--the fragility of our existence on this earth--especially if we believe that our existence will come to an abrupt and bitter end when that last breath escapes our lips. I think this thought is what atheists try most to avoid. It's an ugly, hopeless end, to be sure. No wonder so many of us try so hard to make a name for ourselves on this earth--desperately hoping that maybe, and at least, we won't be forgotten.

Of course, there is the possibility that some things may be very real but invisible and undetectable to us. The fact remains we can only know what exists, not what doesn't exist. Confused? Let me explain: If I wanted to know if there was gold in China, made a search and found some, I would know gold existed in China. If, however, I spent a great deal of time searching and didn't find any gold in China, would that mean it didn't exist there? No. I would literally have to search every single molecule in China, including those that come into the country every second. Only then, would I be able to definitively prove that there was no gold in China. So, in order to know for certain that there is no God and no spiritual presence, I would have to search the world, the galaxy and the cosmos. I would have to know everything. It's just not possible, so if we truly want to be open to truth we must leave that door open. (This is why there are so many more agnostics than atheists. They have wisely recognized this truth.)

So, what if? What if we do have a spirit? What if there is a God? What if, after death, we must make an account to that Being of our existence on earth? Is being a good person enough? And, if it is, how much good do I have to do to outweigh the bad? Are we trapped in some cosmic guessing game? And, what if, after doing my very best my whole life, I come face to face with the Creator only to realize it wasn't enough? I fell short. I am forever lost because although I tried my hardest, there was still sin in my life and perfect holiness cannot coexist with sinfulness. What if, though that Being loved me and offered me a way out, I passed up His plan for salvation in favor of my own minuscule and jaded efforts?

What if?

What if you're right? What do you get? You get to close your eyes and let every thought and memory and desire completely cease to exist. You get a cold grave. You get to decompose until nothing is left.

But, what if you're wrong? You can spend your whole life hoping that the grave will be your final resting place. You can bank your eternal soul on the hope there is no afterlife, for to be sure, if there is and you're not ready... well... who knows what could happen? As ugly as the grave sounds, a cessation of existence would be vastly preferable to what might await a corrupt, unforgiven soul. Isn't it, at least, worth another look? For, if you find Truth, you know it's there. If you don't find Truth, it could very well be out there waiting for you. What do you have to lose if you were to keep searching and keep yourself open to finding Truth?

Here's a great song by Nicole Nordeman called, "What If?"

(To be honest, I don't usually like this argument--the "what if you're wrong" argument, not because it isn't true or worth serious thought, but because it often ignores the basic truth of God's deep love and sacrifice for us. My reason for accepting Jesus's offer of forgiveness and payment for my sin had nothing to do with trying to escape hell, and everything to do with falling in love with Him and desiring to be in an intimate relationship with my Creator, Father, Savior and Friend. "Becoming a Christian" isn't spiritual fire insurance. Repeating a prayer on the back of a Christian pamphlet won't get you into Heaven. Spending time warming a bench in church or giving 10% of your income to charity won't do it, either. This is something that happens in your heart and only you can govern whether or not you will open your heart to falling head over heals in love with Him and make the decision to trust Him with your life.)

Don't let the flame of your life be snuffed out in the face of uncertainty.

No comments: